The Global Fund is a unique, public-private partnership and international financing institution dedicated to attracting and disbursing additional resources to prevent and treat HIV and AIDS, TB and malaria. To date, programs supported by the Global Fund have provided AIDS treatment for 3.6 million people, anti-tuberculosis treatment for 9.3 million people, and 270 million insecticide-treated nets for the prevention of malaria.
In an environment where effectiveness and efficiency can save additional lives, where passion and expertise are at their peak, the Global Fund was looking for a learning partner expert that could positively impact its leadership capabilities.
Building on its social sector experience, combined with its proven solution to develop individual leadership capabilities, Thunderbird co-designed with the Global Fund a robust and experiential three-day leadership program consisting of 120 participants in cohorts of 20. The participants benefited from the program’s four pillars:
- Faculty developed sessions around Global Fund-specific challenges, which helped make the learning’s immediately transferable and relevant for the participants and the larger organization
- A team of coaches were present throughout the program to facilitate small group exercises and debrief each participants assessments
- Post-program coaching sessions provided support to individual participants with their personal action plans
- A privileged environment, offsite, to reflect and have opportunities to exchange with the Senior Management Team
Impact for the Global Fund
Beyond outstanding feedback from participants outlining their appreciation for the very practical approach of the program design, the Global Fund benefitted tremendously from the following:
- Alignment of the leadership team to tackle major change initiatives
- Infusion of a common language to approach leadership and management topics
- Development of new leadership and management skills to lead teams through times of uncertainty and change
- Skills to work more effectible across organizational boundaries