Vice President of Public Relations
The VP of Public Relations will develop a world-class communications plan for Thunderbird School of Global Management, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization's brand reputation. The VP of Public Relations will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and will need to build relationships with the media and internal constituencies. The goal is to advance the organization's position with relevant audiences, as well as to drive broader awareness and donor support for the organization. The VP of Public Relations will be responsible for Thunderbird’s varied and integrated communications products and services including: newsletters and other print publications including the Alumni Magazine; Web, E-news and other online communications; media and public relations; and internal communications.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advises the Senior Management Team including the President and Board on Communications Strategies.
- Manages Thunderbird’s Global Reputation through strategic communications including external media relations, public relations, and stakeholder and internal communications.
- Provides communications leadership on rankings strategy and management.
- Create marketing/public relations strategy that will allow Thunderbird leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and executeappropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Thunderbird programs, partnerships, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and staff development.
- Define and direct communications campaigns and/or programs for demand creation, lead generation and interface with sales positions for lead tracking and management.
- Develop benchmark criteria to measure the efficiency and effectiveness of communications programs. Measure the effectiveness of the department and implement improvements as required.
- Identify, interpret and capitalize on communications trends including emerging technology.
- Directly manage and direct internal team including social media specialist and public relations professionals.
- Work closely with alumni relations on communication needs for alumni office and constituencies.
- Actively pitch, monitor and deliver consistent earned media results.
- Oversees strategic plan of institutional alumni magazine both in print and online.
- Function effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment.
- Lead individuals/groups who are supervised by others.
- Create communications that consider multicultural perspectives.
- Practice attention to detail and effective time management.
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to achieve goals and objectives.
- Additional duties may be assigned at the discretion of the supervisor to meet business objectives and this job description is not intended to be all inclusive.
Bachelor’s degree required, MBA preferred. Minimum of 10-15 years experience required in a management role, ideally leading a global organization’s marketing and communications activities. Previous senior management team experience and working knowledge of higher education market a significant advantage. Experience leading multi-cultural teams in diverse global settings a plus.
- Ability to plan and manage at both strategic and operational levels.
- Ability to articulate a vision and strategy in a way that inspires and motivates a team and focuses their energy on achieving the School’s goals and objectives.
- Proven ability to lead a proactive communications organization and ensure accountability for results that maximize contribution to the Schools goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to manage outsourced communications activities
- Extremely effective public speaking skills and presence.
- Strong communication skills – both verbal and written, including public presentation and speaking skills
- Ability to effectively communicate complex messages to multiple audiences, across all levels of an organization including the Board of Trustees
- Ability to communicate in multiple languages a plus
Foster relationships with internal stakeholders to create and implement Thunderbird marketing (e.g., senior executives, program directors and other staff in Academic Programs and Corporate Learning, faculty, and staff from centers of excellence, Institutional Advancement, Alumni Relations, Marketing/Communication, President’s office, I&IT). Manage vendors and third party contractors in support of communication/public relations activities. Must be proficient in cultivating and maintaining relationships with global leaders throughout the world.
- Negotiate on behalf of the school.
- Research/Develop strategic and vendor partnerships.
Supervise Communications Department employees
This position requires high volume of travel, is deadline-oriented and high-stress. It requires someone that can manage across multiple time zones in a nimble and professional manner with the capability and flexibility to interface with extremely diverse global audiences.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to lift up to 10 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds. The vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
|Please send resume to:
Thunderbird School of Global Management, Human Resources, Ref. #2018
1 Global Place, Glendale, AZ 85306
or e-mail: HRResumes@thunderbird.edu EEO/MFDV